Villages of the Dordogne half day shared tour
- Spend a wonderful afternoon exploring highlights of the marvelous Dordogne
- Enjoy a cruise down the spectacular Dordogne River
- Explore Domme, one of the most beautiful villages of France
Drive to the beautiful village of Domme. With its trapezoid city plan, Domme is a bastide, or a fortified medieval town, adapted to the surrounding terrain, and thus falling short of the rectangular city plan characteristic to Bastides. The village is classified as one of the "Plus Beaux Villages de France" ("The Most Beautiful Villages of France"). In 1307, Knight Templars were imprisoned in Domme while during the Hundred Years' War, the bastide was coveted by the English who first took the town in 1347 and repeatedly changed rulers throughout the war until 1437 when it finally fell under French rule again.
Then drive to La Roque Gageac and enjoy a peaceful cruise on the Dordogne River on board an authentic Gabarre to admire mighty castles that line the river.
Finally, reach Beynac to admire the village and the Castle. This Middle Ages construction, with its austere appearance, is perched on top of a limestone cliff, dominating the town and the north bank of the Dordogne River. The castle was built in the 12th century by the barons of Beynac (one of the four baronies of Périgord) to close the valley. The sheer cliff face being sufficient to discourage any assault from that side, the defenses were built upon the plateau: double crenelated walls, double moats, one of which was a deepened natural ravine, double barbican. See architectural phenomenon, aided by nature, and discover more about the history of this unusual city on this half-day tour!
- Guided walking tour of the villages
- 1 hour Boat ride on the River Dordogne
- English speaking driver guide
- Travel in recent, comfortable & fully equipped minivan
- Bottle of water in the minivan
- Free Wifi access on board
- Personal insurance & expenses
- Entrance fees to monuments or attractions unless mentioned in the program
- Hotel pickup
- Children from 4 to 12 years are reduced
Place Pasteur - 24200 Sarlat
- You will meet your guide in front of Bus Stop, Place Pasteur in Sarlat
- Please be sure to be at the meeting point 10 minutes before the departure
- Maximum 8 persons per tour
- Tour requires minimum of 2 passengers (adults) to operate. In case minimum numbers are not reached we will offer to reschedule or refund your tour
- In case of high water or fog, the boat ride will be replaced by the visit of a Castle
- Good walking shoes recommended, cobblestone streets
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- Tours not suitable for infants under 4
- Departure at 2.00pm
- From April 1st to October 31st 2019
- Tour not available in August
Spend a day enjoying two of Paris’s greatest sights as your local guide introduces you to the art, h...
Walk the footsteps of 2,000-year old history as you explore the heart of Paris, Ile de la Cité. Sitt...
Spend a day exploring Paris in a very unusual way. This excursion on foot and river boat will show y...
Welcome to Sarlat, one of the most fascinating small towns of France and a mecca of french gastronom...
Discover brand-new Lascaux IV International Center of Parietal Art. The museum is a triumph of techn...
Some 15,000 years B.C. unknown artists created breathtaking cave paintings of which the most extraor...