Tarragona half-day tour from Barcelona
- Follow in the footsteps of gladiators and emperors on a Roman history tour of Tarragona
- Learn about the history of 'Hispania Citerior,’ one of three Roman provinces on the Iberian Peninsula
- Uncover the ancient relics of the city’s 2000-year history
- A great trip for lovers of Roman history
- Includes all entrance tickets so that you can book everything together
- Escape the noise and traffic of the city for a day
- Take a stroll through the streets and become part of the city
- Bring the whole family - everyone will love it
- Roundtrip transportation to your hotel included to make travel easier
- More than a tour - your guide will share their love of art history with you
- Unique experience - definitely something to write home about
- Smaller group size gives you a personalized experience in good company
- Avoid the ticket line and walk right in to spend more time with the art
- Explore the countryside and become part of the beautiful landscape
This tour is perfect for those who wish to learn about and experience the fascinating history of Catalonia. Travel back to the days of the Roman Empire by touring the beautiful city of Tarragona on the Costa Dorada. As the former capital of ‘Hispania Citerior’, one of three Roman provinces on the Iberian Peninsula, Tarragona offers over 2,000 years of history to explore.
Your expert guide will pick you up in a comfortable private transport, and journey to the ancient Roman city of Tarraco. Discover a time when gladiators, centurions, mighty legions and ruthless emperors wrote the mythical and bloody history of the Roman Empire.
Tarragona is located 100 km south of Barcelona, on the Costa Dorada. This beautiful natural environment is known for its crystal clear waters and the golden shimmer of its soft sandy beaches. Tarragona’s historical center, with its colorful and narrow streets, has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The city is also home to one of the best preserved Roman archaeological sites in Spain.
Your group will stop at one of the entrances of ancient “Tarraco” to marvel at the Les Ferreres Aqueduct. This magnificent structure, built by the Romans, is also called 'The Devil’s Bridge'. It is 217m long and 26m high - a spectacular example of engineering ahead of its time!
On the walking tour that follows, you will discover the many preserved remains of ancient Roman civilization. Visit the ancient walls surrounding the city and one of the best-preserved circuses in Europe, hidden under nineteenth century constructions.
Catch glimpses of the ancient Roman Forum, which has served as Tarragona’s city center for 2,000 years. Our group will finally arrive to the stunning Amphitheatre, located on the shore of the Mediterranean Sea. During the second century this was the center of entertainment for civilians, a setting for bloody gladiatorial battles and circus acts with wild animals.
The tour will finish on the so-called “Balcony of the Mediterranean.” Our guide will explain how its proximity to the Sea has affected the history of “Tarraco” for thousands of years. This is a very special lookout indeed; a place from which you will have the chance to enjoy beautiful views of the historical city and the sea stretching forth toward the horizon in the distance.
- Pick up and drop off at your accommodation
- Private transport in car or minivan
- Expert guide
- Entrance to the different sites
- Tour of medieval and modern Tarragona
- Entrance fees
- Guided tour
- Guided walking tour
- Private transportation
- Transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Any private expenses
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Tips (optional)
Pick-up from your hotel
- Group size: min. 2 max. 8 people
- Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- The pick-up is between 08.30am and 09.30am
- Blackout dates: 24, 25 and 26 December; 1 January
Spend a day on the sun-soaked shores of Catalonia, exploring the towns of the Costa Dorada. Visit th...
If you have only little time to discover the many faces of this multi-faceted city, we recommend thi...
Barcelona is known as the capital of Modernism and the place where the famous architect Antoni Gaudí...
A few kilometers away from the busy streets of Barcelona stands one of the most impressive mountains...
Take a break from sightseeing in the city and enjoy this exciting adventure to one of the most myste...
The specialized electrical bike tours of Barcelona are designed to follow bike lanes and avoid traff...
Start your full day trip from Barcelona on a comfortable bus with a guide on board. Visit one of the...
Join this tour and spend a full day discovering beautiful Montserrat's spirituality, the amazing arc...
It’s not until you first lay eyes of the Sagrada Família that you truly appreciate its massive scale...
The Erotic Museum of Barcelona (MEB) is unique in the whole of Spain. It offers a large historical a...