Sit back and enjoy the ride along the Icefields Parkway, one of the world’s most stunning scenic drives. Because you don’t have to navigate or watch the road, this tour allows you to focus on the amphitheatre of mountains towering above. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife at the edges of the forest. Dig into a hearty mountain picnic and take a photo stop at Bow Lake, one of the largest glacier-fed lakes in Banff National Park, against the backdrop of the Crowfoot Glacier. You will then continue to the lower Waterfowl Lake along the Icefields Parkway, a stunning glacier lake set against Mt Chephren. Climb aboard the Ice Explorer (a six-wheeled behemoth of a vehicle) and drive across the surface of this glittering sheet of ice. You’ll also have a chance to drink pure, cold water straight from the glacier. Walk the glass floor Glacier Skywalk, hanging from the edge of the Sunwapta Valley at 918-foot (280 m), for unparalleled views of the canyon below and mountains around you.
National park tours
Columbia Icefields Parkway day trip
Duration: 11 hours
Mobile voucher accepted
Do this because
- Enjoy a drive along the Icefields Parkway
- Admire Bow Lake
- Climb aboard the Ice Explorer
What to expect
- Pick-up and drop-off
- Picnic lunch
What's not included
- Infant rates do not include food
- Children from 6 to 12 years old
- Infants from 0 to 5 years old are free, but not include food
Mt Royal Hotel: 138 Banff Ave, Banff
Pick up: call +18775659372 to schedule this ahead of time.
No pick-up: please meet at the public bus parking area behind the Mt Royal Hotel.
What to remember
- Please wear warm clothes, including hat, gloves and warm shoes (closed toes shoes such as trainers or outdoor shoes are recommended). Please also bring sunglasses as it can be very bright on the Athabasca glacier
- You will be able to choose between the following lunch options: chicken club wrap: mayo, chicken, bacon, lettuce and tomato on a tortilla wrap; roast beef sandwich: premium roast beef slices with lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese and horseradish mayo on a kaiser bun; vegetarian wrap: tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, lettuce and hummus on a tortilla wrap; green salad with chicken (gluten-free): romaine lettuce, tomato, green onion, cucumber and diced chicken with french dressing
- Lunches also include fruit, juice, salted potato chips and two bite brownies
- Please call +18775659372 to request your preferred lunch choice at least 24 hours prior to your tour
- Hotel pick-up from Banff hotels is available, you must call +18775659372 to schedule this ahead of time. Transportation will not go to hotels without prior scheduling and confirmation
- If you choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time at your hotel/pick-up location
- If you don't choose the pick-up option, please be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour start time and wait by the seat in the carpark
- Look for a blue mini bus that says 'Discover Banff Tours’
- Early and late season road / trail closures may limit access to some areas
- Operates from April to October
Discover Banff Tours
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100 % refund if you cancel up to 2 days before the activity begins.