Self-guided tour in Thracian and Antique City of Kabile
- Walk the grounds at your own pace
- Trek up to Rabbit's peak
- See ancient Roman structures on a territory of 160 acres
The city of Kabile was founded around 2000 BC, and was one of the most important cities of Ancient Thrace. In fact, it is believed to have been one of the royal residences of the kings from the Odryssian Kingdom, the most powerful state of the Ancient Thracians before it was conquered by Philip II of Macedon in 341 BC. The Ancient Thracian city is mentioned by 14 ancient authors, the first of whom describes its conquest by Philip II of Macedon.
After the collapse of Alexander the Great’s empire, in the 3rd century BC, Kabile was ruled once again by the Ancient Thracians. It was conquered by the Roman Empire in 71 BC, and later was incorporated into the Roman province of Thrace. It was an important regional center in the Late Antiquity as well. The city of Kabile was modeled after the Ancient Greek cities at the time. It boasts a stone acropolis with a unique rock relief of the ancient goddess of Cybele, a protector of the city. In the 4th century AD, Kabile was conquered by the Goths, and was later destroyed for good by the Avars.
The Kabile Archaeological Reserve was established in 1965 on a territory of 650 decares (160 acres). It features ancient structures such as the agora (a central square), Roman barracks, Roman thermae, a bishop’s basilica, among others. Kabile is excavated every year by archaeological teams from Bulgaria and abroad.
It’s also an important spiritual sight with a lot of energetic stones at the top - Rabbit’s peak. It’s worth taking the trek up there and experience it.
- Rabbits peak (if option is booked at checkout)
- Entrance ticket
- Food and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Children aged (3-11): reduced
Enter the fortress with your ticket anytime during open hours.
- Unfortunately the grounds are not wheelchair acccessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes
- Your e-guide will be sent to your email, where your can download directly onto your personal device
- To recieve the e-guide please contact the tour operator directly, you will find their email and phone number on your voucher after checkout
Kabile fortress operating hours:
From November to March:
- Wednesdays to Sundays from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
From April to November:
- Wednesdays to Sundays from 10.00 am to 6.00 pm
- Please note the fortress is closed Monday and Tuesday
Experience the sophistication and high quality of the Bulgarian wines produced at Edoardo Miroglio w...
Enjoy the Halkata hike also known as "The Ring," with a professional guide and hotel pick-up from Sl...
Learn about the different cultures which make up Bulgaria at the fair Karakachans, held every year i...
Explore the Tuida Fortress, comprised of a late Roman, early Byzantine and Medieval Bulgarian fortre...
An experienced Pokemon hunter will walk you around the city unlocking the wide varieties for hunting...
Experience a day in the life of a Thracian on a walking tour of Zheravna from Sliven. Walk through t...