Entrance ticket to Siena Cathedral and Piccolomini Library
- Discover the Cathedral of Siena during the uncovering period of its magnificent floor
- Visit the Piccolomini Library frescoed by the Umbrian artist Pinturicchio
- Only from June to October, admire the uncovered Cathedral Floor
The beautiful city of Siena in Tuscany is home to the great Cathedral of Siena, an impressive Roman-Gothic building of the 13th century. Book your tickets in advance to have immediate access to the various areas of the cathedral complex.
This ticket gives you access to the cathedral also during the uncovering period of Siena's Cathedral Floor and it also allows you to enter the Piccolomini Library. There's much to see in the cathedral, so you may want to do some research on what most interests you and buy your tickets accordingly.
The Cathedral and uncovering of its Floor
One of the most precious and valuable of the incredible artifacts and works of art in the cathedral is the floor itself. Giorgio Vasari, the famous Italian artist and architect, declared that it is “the most beautiful… largest and most magnificent… that was ever made”. Created between the 14th and 18th centuries, it's composed of 56 panels made by famous local artists. The painters’ designs were made into marble flooring thanks to marble intarsia and graffito procedures that called for a great level of economic investment and precision. For the protection of the design and for the preservation of the art, the floor is only uncovered during a certain time of the year.
Located within the cathedral complex, the Piccolomini Library was commissioned by the patron cardinal Francesco Tedeschini Piccolomini (nephew to Pope Pius II) at the beginning of the 16th century to the Umbrian artist known as Pinturicchio, or Bernardino di Betto. The painter and his workshop operated between 1503 and 1508 and quickly executed the valuable frescoes that cover the library walls. One of the walls is occupied by windows while the remaining three display a painted biography of Enea Silvio Piccolomini.
- Access to the Siena Cathedral
- Access to the Piccolomini Library
- Access to the Cathedral Floor (uncovering period)
Show a valid ID/certificate to prove the right to free admission.
Free tickets are available at the ticket office:
- Children up to 6 years of age
- Disabled with one companion
- Students of the University of Siena and the University for Foreigners
- Residents and born in the Municipality of Siena
- Clergy members
- Journalists with valid ID
- Licensed guides
Duomo di Siena, Piazza del Duomo 8, 53100 Siena SI, Italy
- Please print the voucher you will receive via email and show it at the entrance
- Please check the opening hours of each museum before the visit
Opening hours of the Cathedral and the Library:
- From March to November: Monday - Saturday 10.30am - 7.00pm | Sundays and religious holidays 1.30pm - 6.00pm
- From November to February: Monday - Saturday 10.30am - 5.30pm | Sundays and religious holidays 1.30pm - 5.30pm
- From 26th December to 6th January: Monday - Saturday 10.30am - 6.00pm | Sundays and religious holidays 1.30pm - 5.30pm
- Last admission half an hour before the closing time of the museums
- Schedules may vary due to religious celebrations
Opening hours from 27 June to 31 July and from 18 August to 18 October (Floor uncovering period):
- Monday to Saturday from 10.30am to 7.00pm
- Sunday from 9.30am to 6.00pm
Brunello, presently considered the best wine in the world, has its ancestral roots in the passion of...
Experience the breathtaking beauty of the Tuscan countryside by vintage Fiat 500 on an 8-hour scenic...
Discover a resort and spa in Tuscany, where Italian hospitality is combined with an unforgettable we...
Taste and enjoy a typical meal, in an authentic Tuscan style. It will be guided by one of the family...
Attend a private cooking class in the morning or in the afternoon, learn the secrets of the Sienese ...
Follow your guide through the historic center of Siena, starting from the famous Basilica of San Dom...